Monorail Sale Approved to LVCVA

A bankruptcy judge has approved of the sale of the Las Vegas Monorail to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. The sale will enable Elon Musk’s Boring Company and others to bring an underground Tesla-based people mover to the downtown.

The purchase was for $24.2 million, which will come from the authority’s reserves.

The 3.9 mile elevated transit system Las Vegas Monorail, which has operated since 2004, has had an exclusivity clause that prevented other mass transit companies from coming into the Strip. However, due to the pandemic, its ridership plummeted and it closed March 18 and shortly thereafter went into bankruptcy.

The rail runs from the Sahara at the north end to the MGM Grand and includes the convention center.

LVCVA CEO Steve Hill hailed the sale. “We are pleased the U.S. Bankruptcy Court today approved the sale of the Las Vegas Monorail Company’s assets to the LVCVA and look forward to the close of the transaction in the coming weeks,” he said.

LVCVA Chairman Larry Brown commented on the logic of the sale in July, “Again, it’s the Boring Company and others that – what technology is out there, be it light rail, BRT (bus rapid transit), to be able to come in and expressly from the private sector invest in that corridor,” LVCVA Board Chairman Larry Brown said back in July.

Curtis Myles, the president and CEO of the Las Vegas Monorail Company said, “This sale ensures the future viability of the system and creates a path forward for the LVCVA and experienced Monorail operators to work together to reopen the system at the appropriate time to once again carry millions of visitors, eliminate vehicle emissions and congestion and aid in the recovery of our tourism economy.”

The Boring Company recently unveiled the proposed route for its underground people mover as part of an application to the Las Vegas Planning Commission, which approved it before sending it to the City Council. The company is completing its Convention Center Loop at the convention center.

It has been working on the project for about a year and has so far spent $52.5 million. In October the Authority and Musk announced the “Vegas Loop” a 7 mile segment that would begin in the downtown and run under Las Vegas Boulevard to Allegiant Stadium.

The authority has working to complete its $980 million expansion of the convention center that will add 1.4 million square feet.

Recent Articles

History Playbook

On This Day In Sports History

On August 23, 2017, Dodgers starter Rich Hill lost both a no-hitter and the game on a single pitch in a 1-0 loss to the Pirates at PNC Park. Hill carried a perfect game into the 9th inning before an error broke it up, though he retired the next three batters to keep the no-hitter intact. Returning for the 10th inning in a scoreless tie, Hill surrendered a walk-off home run on a 2-1 pitch to Pittsburgh leadoff hitter Josh Harrison.

On This Day In Sports History

On August 22, 1951, St. Louis Browns pitcher Tommy Byrne tied a major league record by issuing 16 walks in a 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Boston Red Sox at Sportsman's Park. Byrne faced 63 batters, struck out five, left 22 men on base, and even drove in St. Louis's only run with a fifth-inning double. Boston secured the victory in the top of the 13th behind a Ted Williams single and four two-out walks, including a bases-loaded pass to opposing pitcher Leo Kiely, who pitched 12 1/3 innings for the win.