Buyer Found for Vegas’ Shuttered Lucky Dragon

A Las Vegas businessman has bought the failed Lucky Dragon casino hotel (l.) for $36 million. He plans to reopen the 203-room hotel, closed since October. But the once-heralded Asian-themed casino is gone for good.

A Las Vegas businessman has bought the city’s shuttered Lucky Dragon Hotel and Casino and plans to convert it to a non-gaming hotel.

Don Ahern, chairman and CEO of construction equipment supplier Ahern Rentals, will pay $36 million to acquire the 2.5-acre property on Sahara Avenue just west of Las Vegas Boulevard, according to local news reports.

He told reporters he will rename the 203-room hotel, which has been closed since last October, and convert the separately housed casino, closed since last January, into a meetings and convention facility. He did not provide a timeline for the reopening or for any remodeling or renovation plans.

The sale price was considerably less than the property’s primary lender, San Francisco-based Snow Covered Capital, was hoping for to cover the nearly $50 million in debt it held on the failed resort. But SCC principal Enrique Landa was glad to get it after a foreclosure auction last year failed to elicit a single meaningful bid.

Commenting on the sale, Landa characterized it as a “terrific property with a bright future,” albeit one that was undone by the wrong business model.

“We’re very glad it has a new owner with a long-term vision,” he said.

Tremendous fanfare greeted Lucky Dragon on its November 2016 debut. Not only was it the first ground-up gaming resort to open in Las Vegas in nearly a decade, but it appeared to position itself in an entirely unique way as a boutique casino targeting Asian and Asian-American gamblers with top-to-bottom Asian-themed décor and signage and with a game mix and food and beverage offering designed to back it up.

Yet it failed pretty much out of the gate. Experts have attributed this to under-capitalization

Recent Articles

History Playbook

On This Day In Sports History

On August 23, 2017, Dodgers starter Rich Hill lost both a no-hitter and the game on a single pitch in a 1-0 loss to the Pirates at PNC Park. Hill carried a perfect game into the 9th inning before an error broke it up, though he retired the next three batters to keep the no-hitter intact. Returning for the 10th inning in a scoreless tie, Hill surrendered a walk-off home run on a 2-1 pitch to Pittsburgh leadoff hitter Josh Harrison.

On This Day In Sports History

On August 22, 1951, St. Louis Browns pitcher Tommy Byrne tied a major league record by issuing 16 walks in a 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Boston Red Sox at Sportsman's Park. Byrne faced 63 batters, struck out five, left 22 men on base, and even drove in St. Louis's only run with a fifth-inning double. Boston secured the victory in the top of the 13th behind a Ted Williams single and four two-out walks, including a bases-loaded pass to opposing pitcher Leo Kiely, who pitched 12 1/3 innings for the win.