Former Centaur Officials Buy Gary Riverboats

Former Centaur Gaming executives Rod Ratcliff and John Keeler formed Spectacle Entertainment to purchase Majestic Star Casino I and II (l.) in Gary, Indiana. Spectacle hopes to relocate one casino within Gary and move the other license elsewhere in the state. The transaction, if approved by the Indiana Gaming Commission, would close in first quarter 2019.

Spectacle Entertainment, recently created by two former Centaur Gaming executives, recently announced it acquired Majestic Holdco LLC, owner of the Majestic Star Casino and the Majestic Star Casino II, both located in Gary, Indiana, for an undisclosed amount of cash. Rod Ratcliff, former chairman and chief executive officer at Centaur Gaming, is the chairman and chief executive officer at Spectacle, and John Keeler, former Centaur general counsel for Centaur, is general counsel at Spectacle. Keeler said, “It seemed like a really good opportunity that came along. The more and more we looked at it, the more and more intrigued we were.”

Keeler said Majestic Star and Majestic Star II are among the smallest casinos in the state. In fiscal 2018, Majestic Star ranked third lowest in total win with $92.2 million and Majestic Star II ranked second lowest with $59.8 million. Yearly total win peaked at Majestic Star in 2005 at more than $140 million, but hasn’t surpassed $100 million since 2013. Total win has steadily dropped at Majestic Star II since 2011. “There’s been a steady decline of the revenues of those two boats from their inception to now,” Keeler added.

He stated Spectacle will try to relocate one casino within Gary and move the other license elsewhere in the state; an exact location has yet to be determined. Both gambling boats opened in 1996. They share a 300-room hotel room, six restaurants, meeting facilities and 2,000-space parking garage.

The Indiana legislature would have to approve moving the licenses. Lawmakers have expressed interest in moving the casinos from Buffington Harbor to use it for an intermodal transit center. Meanwhile, Keeler said, “On an interim basis, we hope that we can continue to operate them as is and hopefully make incremental improvements.”

The transaction, if approved by the Indiana Gaming Commission, would close in the first quarter of 2019.

Earlier this year, Centaur sold Hoosier Park in Anderson and Indiana Grand in Shelbyville to Las Vegas-based Caesars Entertainment for $1.7 billion. The two racinos posted nearly $276 million in total win in fiscal year 2018, with $209 million from Hoosier Park.

Recent Articles

History Playbook

On This Day In Sports History

On August 23, 2017, Dodgers starter Rich Hill lost both a no-hitter and the game on a single pitch in a 1-0 loss to the Pirates at PNC Park. Hill carried a perfect game into the 9th inning before an error broke it up, though he retired the next three batters to keep the no-hitter intact. Returning for the 10th inning in a scoreless tie, Hill surrendered a walk-off home run on a 2-1 pitch to Pittsburgh leadoff hitter Josh Harrison.

On This Day In Sports History

On August 22, 1951, St. Louis Browns pitcher Tommy Byrne tied a major league record by issuing 16 walks in a 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Boston Red Sox at Sportsman's Park. Byrne faced 63 batters, struck out five, left 22 men on base, and even drove in St. Louis's only run with a fifth-inning double. Boston secured the victory in the top of the 13th behind a Ted Williams single and four two-out walks, including a bases-loaded pass to opposing pitcher Leo Kiely, who pitched 12 1/3 innings for the win.