Seminoles Settle Blackjack Dispute With Florida

The Seminole Tribe last week settled a disagreement with the state of Florida over whether it can continue to offer blackjack. When the previous compact expired, which was amended to include blackjack, the state sued to stop the game. A state court found in favor of the Seminoles and now the state will not appeal.

The Seminole Tribe and the state of Florida last week reached an agreement ending a dispute over the tribe’s exclusivity to house-banked card games in the state. The tribe sued the state in 2015 claiming that the approval of “player-banked” card games at state parimutuels violated its exclusivity and the state counter-sued, claiming the tribe’s five-year agreement granting the Seminoles exclusivity had expired. A judge ruled in favor of the tribe, which halted millions of dollars in payments it had made to the state in exchange for the exclusivity.

The new deal gives the tribe continued exclusivity under the original compact, which expires in 2030. The tribe will resume payments immediately. Including payments made in escrow, the state will receive $340 million over the next fiscal year. The catch, however, is the state is required to take “aggressive enforcement action” on banked card games and even electronic table games that mimic the real thing. Should that not happen, the tribe can halt payments once again.

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation says it will abide by the agreement.

“DBPR is glad that the state of Florida has reached an agreement to resolve the ongoing litigation between the state and the Seminole Tribe,” said DBPR Secretary Jonathan Zachem. “This agreement ensures the continuity of the current Seminole compact and does not allow for any expansion of gaming.”

The challenge for the parimutuels is great since the money paid by the tribe is at least twice as much as the banked games would contribute to the state treasury.

The tribe says it’s a win-win for everyone, however.

“The settlement is one of the rare incidents where everybody benefits,” Barry Richard, attorney for the Seminole Tribe told the Miami Herald. “Nobody gave up anything. The state has an immediate infusion of money, and the tribe gets to continue its games.”

Recent Articles

History Playbook

On This Day In Sports History

On August 23, 2017, Dodgers starter Rich Hill lost both a no-hitter and the game on a single pitch in a 1-0 loss to the Pirates at PNC Park. Hill carried a perfect game into the 9th inning before an error broke it up, though he retired the next three batters to keep the no-hitter intact. Returning for the 10th inning in a scoreless tie, Hill surrendered a walk-off home run on a 2-1 pitch to Pittsburgh leadoff hitter Josh Harrison.

On This Day In Sports History

On August 22, 1951, St. Louis Browns pitcher Tommy Byrne tied a major league record by issuing 16 walks in a 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Boston Red Sox at Sportsman's Park. Byrne faced 63 batters, struck out five, left 22 men on base, and even drove in St. Louis's only run with a fifth-inning double. Boston secured the victory in the top of the 13th behind a Ted Williams single and four two-out walks, including a bases-loaded pass to opposing pitcher Leo Kiely, who pitched 12 1/3 innings for the win.