Washington D.C. Approves Sports Betting Contract

The Washington D.C. City Council officially approved a plan to bypass the public bidding process and award a mobile sports betting contract to its lottery provider Intralot. The Council also approved emergency resolutions to allow the city’s Lottery to begin negotiations with Intralot as soon as Mayor Muriel Bowser (l.) signs the bill instead of waiting for approval from Congress.

The Washington D.C. City Council approved a plan to bypass the public bidding process and award a mobile sports betting contract to its lottery provider Intralot on a second reading.

The council also approved resolutions to allow the city’s lottery to begin contract negotiations once the bill is signed by Mayor Muriel Bowser. All D.C. laws, however, still have to be approved by Congress.

There has been vocal opposition on Council about bypassing the bidding process, but proponents have insisted that the District needs to move quickly before neighboring states Maryland and Virginia approve sports betting.

Still, Council Member David Grosso said before the vote that Intralot should not be granted the contract and that the company had recently made significant contributions to council member campaign funds.

“It is not an emergency. It is a giveaway,” he said before the vote according to a report at Sports Handle. “We previously noted the downgrade of Intralot’s Moody’s bond rating. That should be enough to show that there is no emergency here … the only emergency is for Intralot.”

The deal has also been criticized for stifling competition in the district’s market and offering consumers little choice in who to play with.

However, City officials estimated it would take 27 months to secure a sports betting contract going through regular bidding procedures. That delay would cost the district more than $60 million, they said.

Washington’s sports betting bill will allow for sportsbooks at sports venues, but the district does not have any operating casinos.

Recent Articles

History Playbook

On This Day In Sports History

On August 23, 2017, Dodgers starter Rich Hill lost both a no-hitter and the game on a single pitch in a 1-0 loss to the Pirates at PNC Park. Hill carried a perfect game into the 9th inning before an error broke it up, though he retired the next three batters to keep the no-hitter intact. Returning for the 10th inning in a scoreless tie, Hill surrendered a walk-off home run on a 2-1 pitch to Pittsburgh leadoff hitter Josh Harrison.

On This Day In Sports History

On August 22, 1951, St. Louis Browns pitcher Tommy Byrne tied a major league record by issuing 16 walks in a 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Boston Red Sox at Sportsman's Park. Byrne faced 63 batters, struck out five, left 22 men on base, and even drove in St. Louis's only run with a fifth-inning double. Boston secured the victory in the top of the 13th behind a Ted Williams single and four two-out walks, including a bases-loaded pass to opposing pitcher Leo Kiely, who pitched 12 1/3 innings for the win.